Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Job Achievement: Level One

It took 6 months and some serious personal compromises, but I did it.

I got a job.

(And not even as a stripper!) 

I have to admit, I'm rather surprised by my own lack of excitement about it, which probably says something about how much I feel I am sacrificing ideals of where I wanted to be going to be going here. But here seems to be where I need to go right now, as a seasonal part time employ at Target doing shelf stocking job which pays a marginal hourly wage.

It's not exactly the vision I had of getting a career together, nor anywhere near a pay grade to facilitate financial independence, but it IS employment and subsequent personal income with benefits.

And, as I was eyeballing the office and three higher level people I interviewed with today, Target is a company which could potentially lead to a job above inventory with the right promotions.


So perhaps, it could go somewhere, eventually... 

But today I just need to focus on getting some portion of a wardrobe of red shirts and khakis.

And who knows, maybe something big will still come together some day.

Or alternatively, I have already passed my career peak, and can look forward to spending the next 30 or 40 years scrapping by in a service industry job which doesn't give a damn about my college degree.

Woot.

7 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! Not ideal, but it is a job. And Target is an awesome store, so I'm sure the employee discount will not go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It could just be a stepping stone. Something that pays the bills until the "career" job comes along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have not passed your career peak! You've been enjoying a restorative, scenic plateau for a while, and now you've resumed your hike upward.

    Congratulations! I've never been to a Target, and my only reference is the Target Lady from Saturday Night Live. But I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Target Employee Discount! Congrats on the job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to write something sounding inspiring and congratulatory, but the words aren't right and couldn't figure it out, so simply congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the job! Never apologize for what work you do -- you are working to support your beautiful family and you should be proud of that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just installed iStripper, so I can watch the sexiest virtual strippers dancing on my taskbar.

    ReplyDelete