Saturday, July 2, 2011

Adventures in Telluride: The Decemberists

One of the bands we got to see at the Telluride Bluegrass Festival was the Decemberists, and they were far and away one of the ones I was looking forward to seeing the most.

In fact, it was looking up the Decemberists tour schedule after discovering their awesomeness with their newest album "The King is Dead" that lead me stumbling across the festival in the first place.

And they did not disappoint!

Now, please keep in mind that video taping was strictly prohibited at the festival, and that my capturing of these clips was purely accidental and the unfortunate result of my apparent negligence in noticing my camera having been switched over to video recording mode, and despite my heartfelt angst upon discovering this horribly unintentional mistake after returning home and uploading my camera's memory card, it still seemed a waste not to share them with you lovely people.

*Ahem*

video

video

video

And in addition to playing many of their wonderful songs, the lead singer Colin Meloy also had a fun stage presence, and began the show by claiming their previous pick-off superiority by default. According to him, the last time they were in Telluride (I want to say he said in 2005, but don't quote me on that) they challenged Bela Fleck of the band Bela and the Flecktones to a pick-off (apparently he's one of the top of the top in the world of banjo players), and since he never showed the Decemberists (according to the Decemberists) were the automatic winners by default.

video
But guess what?! This year he showed! AND THEN they got up Dr. Jerry Douglas (also very famous picktastic banjo player, or so I gathered, although I sure had no clue going into it) up on the stage as well, for some picktastic banjo picking fun. I found it to be a bit disruptive to the overall flow to the Decemberists' show (and I failed to get a particularly good clip of it, sorry), but it seemed to be a big hit with most people there, and it was fun to see mores of personalities of the people involved.


video
And then the Decemberists were no longer the picking champions of Telluride....

All in all it was just a wonderful show to see.

I do apologize for the lack of a complete song (and a few places with awkward cut offs), it's very hard to pay proper attention to one's camera when one is completely clueless about happening to be recording such recording-prohibited shows.

Oh, and blogger won't let me upload video clips if they're longer than about a minute since my camera shoots video in humongous HD and the blogger support system just isn't up to that yet.

Not that I considered that during the festival, as that would be of questionable moral integrity since they explicitly stated that video recording was not allowed and I would never contemplate completely disregarding such instructions for the sake of a few measly blog posts. 

BUT audio recording was totally okiedokie to do! So, lets wrap up on some audio recording of the Decemberists live at Telluride with some hula-hooping hippies-in-training for visual stimulation.

video

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, jealous! But thanks for the clips - your camera takes really good audio, btw!

    ReplyDelete