Friday, July 8, 2011

Little Girls and Earrings

When I was little, I wanted EARRINGS!

Large dangley earrings were my coveted desire, the fancier the better in my book. And also in this book, by Judith Viorst, which does an excellent job outlining just how important they are for certain little ladies.

And finally, after much insensate pestering articulate deliberation, I convinced my mother to let me get my ears pierced when I was 7, a noticeable change from her originally decreed age of 12. 

I was ecstatic!

Then a year or two later I ended up with some infection issues (which, in retrospect, were actually probably an allergic reaction/skin sensitivity from prolonged exposure to the very questionable metals they used to make the posts for the uber cheap variety available at Claires) and the holes closed up when I stopped wearing them all the time. 

And although I was saddened, I wasn't exactly rushing out to get them re-pierced. The sort of earrings worn by little girls had not been of the properly grandiose level I had imagined. And having earrings really had been hurting (there was scabbing. And puss. And a high level of general eww.) towards the end, and I've always been a bit of wuss when it comes to pain.

A few years later, I came across an old pair and while playing around with them in the mirror, was truly shocked when the earring completely accidentally went through the hole.

I had pierced ears again! This was awesome!!

And since I haven't had much trouble with them, other than needing to buy decent quality posts and take them out regularly (otherwise my ears go right back to being sore and swollen just like when I was a kid).

But the earring debate is something I have had to face from time to time with my own little girls.

I decided against piercing their ears as babies since I like to lean towards the "lets not cause small babies unneeded extra pain" point of view on most things.

Kristina's tendency to SCREAM bloody murder during shots may have also contributed to my disenchantment with the whole stabity process. Had sweet (and mellow!) tempered Adrianna come first I may have been inclined to make a different decision, but I couldn't very well go and pierce the second child's ears without getting the first one's done, and that SCREAMING baby of Kristina sure wasn't much better at the age two.

However, several of Kristina's little friends have had pierced ears, and seeing that coupled with me putting on earrings from time to time have prompted her to ask to wear real earrings on occasion.

And I simply tell her that to wear real earrings she would have to have ears pierced which feels like a shot and puts a tiny hole in her ear to put the earrings in.

She declines.

But my offer is still good, if she understands what it means to get her ears pierced and is willing to suck up the (very temporary) pain for it (and preferably promise not to SCREAM during it), I'm willing to let her get her ears pierced.

But I will not make her do it.

I have to make that child do enough horrible things (like stand on the scale at the pediatricians office every so often or occasionally eat her dinner) that she fights me on with every ounce of her (very loud) soul, holding her down to be pierced just doesn't need to be one of them.

I'm anticipating it will actually be Adrianna who declares that she wants her ears pierced, and that Kristina will go along with the process out of a sense of sibling rivalry. But we shall see, the little boogers don't always do the things I expect how I expect them to (mostly on principle, I think).

What are your opinions or experiences with little girls and ear piercing??

1 comment:

  1. I was searching for my GF's blog and came across your interesting post asking thoughts and opinions about little girl ear piercing.

    When I read it, it reminded me of a situation with both our girls, one aged 3 and the other 13mos. When our ODD wanted her ears pierced, we agreed and she did great except for a few tears as expected. What I didn't anticipate happened. Like your dd, she kept seeing me with earrings and wanted "earwigs" like mommy too. One day she came up to dh asking him to put one of my earrings in her ears (she didn't have pierced ears yet) and dh said to take her to have them pierced before we had a trip to the ER to find the earrings! She loved mine...

    I asked our ped who encouraged me to go ahead and have the 3 yr old done saying it was best when mommy could care for them rather than the little girls who may not do as good a job cleaning and caring for them. She gave me some tips for moms having their dd's ears pierced and included some OTC meds to minimize any discomfort. I followed her tips and our oldest, Sandi, did great.

    I also asked our ped about having our YDD's ears pierced, Missy, done too at the same time. She said, it have become more popular to pierce newborns, infants and little girls ears because is safer with the newer ear piercing instruments than the traditional methods of using a needle, thread by the mother or grandmother.I was a little surpised at her response, but she showed me a picture of her 11 mo dd with little pearl earrings! I felt relieved told her I would think about it. Her reasoning was when mommy cared for them, there was never any problems during the healing time.

    I was still uncertain until she gave me some suggestions for moms having their dd's ears pierced. I put them away and thought it would be years before I needed to read them. Dh and older sis were quiet on the subject. I thought I had made my mind up to wait till she was older.

    Wrong. I started seeing other little babies including two in my YDD's playgroup and realized how cute both girls would look with cute earrings and yielded to pressure from dh.

    Marty, I don't know if you'd considered having your younger dd's ears pierced now to, but after I did, my ODD was so proud her sister had
    earrings. It was so much easier than I thought caring for both girls ears. Needless, both girls looked adorable in their pics with little pierced ears and never had problems.

    I'd say if you've thinking about it, then your mommy intuition it telling you now is better and I go ahead and pierce both girls ears now.

    Don't hesitate to write me an e-mail for our ped's tips if you'd like.

    Amy
    amyswor@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete