Saturday, July 23, 2011

Why I'm Probably Going to Hell: Blogging Edition

I am an marginally wicked blogger on occasion. 

I do things like write about big life events in my blog only, and then instantly know 30 seconds into a conversation with someone whether or not they have been keeping up with reading it regularly.

And then I may start forming deep dark feelings of resentment towards the non-martyblogreading individual in question.

I also tend to have the overwhelming urge to just respond to all well intentioned general inquiries about how life has been with my blog address. Do you see me writing in depth about everything of excitement (and even many things of non-excitement) over here? Do you know how much time I put into this just so family members across the world can see the ever important videos of my girls running around screaming and pictures of them eating paint? I started keeping this blog in part because I got tired of writing the same story over and over again in emails to assorted family members and friends. Now I just put it up here, and should never have to rewrite stuff ever [EVER] again.

But that's not even the worst of my blogging demons!

Presently I am WAAAAAAAAY behind on reading other people's blogs. There certainly isn't a requirement that to be a blogger you MUST read at least a dozen other blogs a day, but I do think there is somewhat of an unwritten rule of blogging etiquette that you at least occasionally pay attention to the blogs of the people who consistently read yours out of at least minimally polite interest. You  know, kinda like at a party when after you spent 45 minutes discussing in depth the idiocies of your job/spouse/parents/children/life, and then ask "so how are things going with your job/spouse/parents/children/life" just because it seems like the thing to do even if you don't really care all that much.

Plus it totally is a great way to get good ideas to steal borrow for your blog. 

But the blogs I regularly read (and totally haven't for the last week or two) are usually just awesome in of themselves! And the people who write them are so cool! And most of them even occasionally stop by here!! Which means I'm almost a cool blogger through association!!!

But I totally haven't been hanging out at my blog cliques, with the whole new "oh look, now I'm going to spend 40 hours a week doing this crazy thing called work and then be all tired when I get home and just go to bed like I'm old" thing going on. And I'm not even going to get into my seriously lame ass attempts to create my own super cool bloggy clique hangout which pretty much crashed and burned two days after conception and the low level of overhanging guilt I still have for neglecting that project so entirely.

I'm also pretty sure this blog was supposed to have more work done on those little top header things which are probably super duper awful right now (although I don't know for sure since I haven't bothered to look at them in forever and a day), and I feel more blogger guilt over that as well.

Which brings us to something else I've been contemplating.

I have been thinking about stopping the blog-post-a-day regiment, because as much as I love the strong routine and consistency factor, I've also been putting up more cop out blog posts than I should on top of feeling as though I never get a chance to do anything more than the minimum maintenance to keep the blog running, which is ultimately making me into more of a bad blogger than anything else.

But I'm not sure what would be good to replace it.

Some bloggers of the awesome blogs I follow manage to regularly update 3 to 5 times a week without a set schedule (that I'm aware of, at least), and I think this is a good model for my blog to evolve into. However, I'm also not sure about my ability to just pull posts together in a timely and regular fashion without deadlines.

I may have a *slight* tendency to procrastinate things in life (even the things I want to do), and to get easily distracted by other things (have you SEEN the internet????) unless there is a big looming "get it done and get it done NOW" mark right in front of me.

So, since you are the delightful people who actually read this and I greatly value your opinion (please like me!), I would love any feedback you might have or suggestions for where to take this blogging venture.

Also, I love this kitty picture. It doesn't really have anything to do with the post, but come now, cute captioned cats are what the internet was invented for, right?? I wouldn't want to deprive you of potentially spending 10 minutes online not seeing this adorableness. Also, did you know Wikipedia now has an entry for lolcats? I find this both amusing and mildly disturbing.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'll just say that I really enjoy your posts, and will be happy w/ whenever you post! :)

    For me, if I don't write every day, I don't feel like myself. But some days I do my daily writing in a journal or a different blog, so my main blog doesn't get a post, or gets a photo or two. Something quick. Heh. When you're busy, you're busy. You have a J O B now, and kids, and life! So whatever schedule ends up working out for you will work out for your readers, too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. For reading other people's blogs: I find Google Reader very nice for getting all that stuff in one place. It's even a little easier to concentrate when I'm not typing in a new address every few minutes.

    For the geek girls blog: Don't think of it as a failure. Think of it as reserving the perfect group blog name and site for some future point when the rest of the things necessary for it come together.

    For blogging frequency: I have similar issues, both with keeping up not-quite-daily habits and needing solid deadlines. Perhaps you could consider 1 deadline per week (perhaps at the end of your "weekend," if you get one) by which you have finished the 3 posts (or however many) to be posted the following week. Then, you can schedule what you've written to post on the appropriate days.

    I think we can all understand the reduction in free time that goes with having a full-time job. Hope things continue well for you!

    ReplyDelete