Friday, August 12, 2011

Geek is the New Cool

I pretend to be geeky to fit in socially with my friends.

Don't get me wrong, I do actually have some slightly geeky tendencies (such as a warm fuzzy fondness for Star Trek and certain pastel equestrian collection sitting out in the garage) and have managed to gain a few geeky skills just going along with life (like I know what google plus is and consider high speed internet as important as indoor plumbing).

I also have a strong tendency to form close bonds with those of the heavily geeky nature (although I rather suspect it is because the slightly socially awkward tend to be much nicer people in general). 

But ultimately, I am no geek.

I tried really hard to participate in role playing games in college because EVERYBODY I was remotely friends with, lived with, or dated played them. Frequently. And I liked spending 4 hours on Friday night hanging out with those people. But I never really enjoyed it (and even manage to play an entire session of Dungeons and Dragons using a D12 thinking it was a D20 one time), nor understood the purpose behind them beyond 'sitting around with people is better than sitting around alone'.

((And if you didn't get the D12 vs. D20 thing, it's referring to dice. Most of the rolling within a D&D game is done using a twenty sided die, where higher numbers are nearly always better. Thus using a twelve sided die where my highest possible role would have only been mediocre was not dissimilar to shooting off my big toe just before running a marathon.))

I watched many games of Magic the Gathering (a card game of sorts) and Battle Tech (involves little robot model figurines you assemble and paint and a map-like game board to move them around on), and never found them of particular interest.

I have attempted to stay up on Star Wars trivia and jokes, but ultimately never progressed passed having a Princess Leia complex. 

My in-depth understanding of The X-men and Star Trek is limited to which characters (cough cough Wolverine cough Commander Riker cough cough) are particularly hunky and a general reference to the broad idea of them being cool.

I was allowed to touch the controls on a few brief occasions during multi-player first person shooter games (there are many varieties of these, the gist is a group of people play together via the internet on a team which has a goal of, say, not getting killed by the zombies while running through the forest to find some secret bunker or other), but I was usually booted off pretty quick for squeeling over the microphoned headset. Oh, and I would get stuck in corners a lot. And then I was shot, and other people started whining about my sucking at the game.

I even showed up to the Chess and Games club meetings on occasion, and watched LAN parties (where 50 students would all bring their computers into a dorm room lounge and do nothing but play video games for three or four days) from affair. 

But none of it stuck.

I never took apart my computer just to put it back together (which, all things considered, is probably a really good thing).

I never gained any appreciation for World of Warcraft, nor mastered the online gaming lingo beyond understanding n00b and pwn3d (the first term being slang for a new person (as in, I was called a noob at work last week for not being proficient in something) and the second being a weird internet take on being "owned" (as in, I was pwnd when I repeatedly died within the first 30 seconds of game play).

I never understood the supposed sexiness of vampires, much less the awesomeness of Harry Potter (no really, I just don't see the awesomeness.... maybe I should get around to reading those books or watching the movies one of these days).

I never read any of the original Marvel or DC comics (although I CAN tell you Spiderman is Marvel and Batman is DC, which I think is pretty dang good considering my lack of genuine caring about them).

I have never watched a zombie movie (and I'm not even sure I could name one without some Wikipedia referencing). 

I have never even played Super Mario Brothers.

Yep, I am a total poser when it comes to being geeky. 

Luckily I'm really used to "faking it" in life.

(Like right now, as I pretend to be a blogger.....)

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (sorry - couldn't edit!)
    Yay! Someone else who doesn't get Harry Potter! I'm there with you! No desire to see / read / dress up as weirdos in robes.
    Twilight is a different story. I have a 13 year old daughter and have been required to take her to the theater to see each movie when it came out.
    My hubby is a totally different level of geek. Computer programmer by day and ham radio operator by night. Hams are a special bunch all their own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of myself as a card-carrying geek in good standing, but there are vast areas of geekdom where I am a total n00b. For example, never read very many comic books, only had a few years of intense video gaming before getting bored with them and never got into DnD or Magic, despite Eric's attempts over the years.

    On the other hand, I have read a stupid amount of sci-fi and fantasy books (and I love Harry Potter) and I like doing math. So there's that.

    I think there's enough different ways of being geeky that you can lay claim to your little corner and be content with it.

    ReplyDelete