Monday, September 5, 2011

Perspective

There is an older Dilbert comic with two panels, one which reads "How you see your performance at work" and shows an angelic scene with much praise and worshiping going on as the worker walks through, and the other which reads "How your boss sees your performance at work" and shows Dilbert stapled to his desk screaming "stapler misfire!"

I often feel as though that is how my world is, except that instead of it just being my boss, it's EVERYBODY.

Where I see myself as seriously rockin' at work most of the time, everyone else sees me as marginally competent on the good days. (And we won't even linger on how they see me on the bad days, when I do things like screw up signing one morning and seriously crash the entire teams' scores for the week. Or get 9 minutes of overtime, they REALLY don't like me when I do that.)

Where I see myself as being personally satisfied through using blogging as means of personal expression, everyone else sees me as narcissistic and often shallow. 

Where I see myself as accomplished for staying on top of it and getting three loads of laundry run through in an afternoon, everyone else sees me as sloppy for having three baskets of (now clean) laundry just piled there.

Where I see myself as achieving something by having paperwork done ahead of time, everyone else sees me as an idiot for not doing it right.

Where I see myself as an excellent parent with wonderfully spirited children, everyone else sees me as delusional for not realizing what little hellions they actually are and oppressive for trying to control their behavior.

Where I see myself as independent and capable, everyone else sees me as foolish and idiotic for not seeking the opinions of others in everything I do.

Where I see myself as energy conserving through selective cleaning tactics, everyone else just sees me as lazy for not picking up the girls' toys every night. 

Where I see myself as doing my damnedest not to drown in the hurricane of life, everyone else sees me splashing around worthlessly in a small puddle.


Unfortunately, each facet of the world judges me (and everyone else, for that matter) through it's own perspective, and my opinion matters little in tallying the grand equation of life.


1 comment:

  1. Well, on a positive note, my perspective is that you're an awesome mom and blogger! : )

    ReplyDelete