Sunday, September 11, 2011

Too Young To Remember

Many blogs (and newspapers and magazines and radio shows and tv programs....) have been focusing on the 10th anniversary of September 11th the past week, and I'm sure most media at least on the US side will be thoroughly inundated with it today.

(Sorry about adding to it.)

And although I've rather been avoiding the topic in it's entirety to the best of my ability, I did stumble across across a post done by Jill, Benevolent Dictator when I was checking out who this obviously cool person was, since anyone who has "benevolent dictator" as part of her signature just has to be badass along with her awesomeness from her entertaining take on the reason behind the departure of the pumpkin hat.

And her post reflecting on the event itself and how it has affected her family's life since made me realize that I have no memories as an adult (much less as a parent) of the world before 9/11.

My mother mentioned a year or two ago that she was really hit by the freshman students coming into her community college class having no real personal memories of the destruction of the twin towers, and I had condescendingly declared that of course I have memories of the event.

But it wasn't until yesterday that I fully realized my memories are nothing more than images completely lacking any sort of a larger context.

I was 16.

I have no adult memories or view of the world other than the state it's been in for the last decade. 

I vaguely remember that air travel used to be different, that there was a time before constant amber alerts and long security lines and when jokes were made about bad airplane food (you know, before they stopped feeding you entirely).

But I don't remember what it was like not to be a country at war, nor what it's like to have a military force not be in a constant deployment cycle.

I never formed the idea that the world today is a particularly unsafe place, because it is simply how the world has been to me.

(For that matter, I also never really formed an opinion about the economy or job market beyond them existing in varying degrees of sucking.)

It never occurred to me that there might be a need for a family emergency plan, despite living surrounded by the nation's emergency plan.

By the time I came of age the world had already changed, and at the rate things are going it doesn't look like to change back any time soon. An interesting time to become an adult, to say the least.

Now if only I could remember if "May you live in interesting times" was a blessing or a curse.......

1 comment:

  1. I've never been blogged about my blog before, and I feel so...flattered. Famous. Stalked.

    I should find something else to do with my lunch hour, but it keeps my mother entertained. I'm pretty sure she's the only one besides you that reads it.

    I survived the 10th anniversary of 9/11 without crying or having to explain my tears to my children. That alone is something to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete