Sunday, October 2, 2011

The Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Zit Painful Shopping Experience

Today after work I stopped by the cosmetics section to get some facial moisturizer stuff.

I don't buy stuff from that whole section very often, between details like a container of most anything usually lasting a pretty solid year (or like, 5+ if we want to talk about the last time I bought foundation) and me being rather disinclined to care overly large amounts about what is going on my face as long as it's not a huge zit on the end of my nose.

Alas, I ran out of under-eye cream a month ago and the general face moisturizer last week and I'm about to be out of cleanser, and this lack of the usual items has been causing some weird skin issues (read - big zits on my chin) to appear. So I finally broke down this evening and managed to spend 5 minutes purchasing some replacement stuff instead of just thinking "oh I should buy that" and never quite managing it. 

However while doing so I was reminded of the other reason why I find buying female facial products to be more of a pain than it's usually worth.

If you go into this section at a drugstore or ever-awesome Target (I know, it may be very foreign territory for the men reading this... all two of you........), you will see a LOT of products marketed towards acne control. Vanity is certainly a selling point, and no-one is ever particularly pleased with an outbreak of zits. Couple that with teens being some of the biggest spenders on non-necessity items and their proneness to both getting pimples and being overly self conscience of said pimples, and it's pretty easy to see such a big part of the market is devoted to zit-zapping claims.

And then the rest of the facial care section is pretty much entirely anti-wrinkle and anti-aging products, which again can be pretty easily understood by our culture's weird obsession with youth (how many famous women are over the age of 45 and how many of those have greying hair? Yeah....) and fear of aging.

But you see, amazingly enough I'm not actually freaking out about getting wrinkles yet, nor do I have much issue with zits (assuming I do my normal wash/lotion routine) these days. I know, this is really crazy for someone in their 20s to say, but I tend to look in the mirror and think my complexion looks just fine.

I just need a way to clean it to keep it that way.

So when the occasion arises that I do need to go buy more things from these aisles, it usually takes me a while just to find the three out of three hundred products on the shelf that AREN'T blatantly marketed towards zits or wrinkles (or both!), and then I have to remember really hard why I'm not just using a bar of a soap for this when facial cleanser costs twenty bucks and soap is like sixty five cents a bar. 

But hey, now I'm totally set for another 8 to 12 months of wonderful (but not overly glowing, mind you) complexion.

Woot.

2 comments:

  1. Bitch. I am firmly planted in the anti-wrinkle anti-blemish camp, and happy to be there. One day, blemishes will be long gone and that will mean I am old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha!! I'm starting to think I may need to watch my little smartass mouth when it comes to scorning aspects of the wonderful and very vibrant and not at all old people who are merely a decade (or two....) longer lived than me. Since they read my blog. And I really like them for it. A lot. And I don't want to being insulting towards them... after all, everyone loves a good vintage :-p

    ReplyDelete