Friday, December 30, 2011

The Gender Effect of My Little Pony

My Little Pony collectors and enthusiasts have existed as long as the Hasbro line of children's toys have (since 1982, to be exact).

However, for a VERY long time the group was nearly entirely female.

My MLP message board from my collecting days had no male members at all.

The megahub online forum had (and this is a generous estimate) a half dozen regulars of the manlier sex out of thousands of daily visitors.

But then, something happened with the latest generation of ponies.....

A new tv show came out along with the Generation 4 characters, and the show is just awesome.

So awesome, in fact, that it has created a new culture-cult following called...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
THE BRONIES! 

Yep, a self identified assortment of men who absolutely adore the latest take on My Little Pony characters.

Now don't get me wrong, there is STILL a big movement with ponies equating to compassion and understanding and shitting rainbows and all, which is totally great as it was a big part of their appeal to me and becoming a member of the pony community in the first place.

And really, the more pony lovers out there in the world the better. I mean come on, ponies are simply awesome, people.

But why did it take a gender swing in the fanbase to not only coin an awesome term for the casual My Little Pony enthusiast, but to create newly universal symbols of such with the brohoof.

They now have their very own meme section of the LOLcat's website for crying out loud!!

When it was just girls adoring the pastel equestrian awesomeness, it was dismissed as a silly hobby and kept isolated to the intweb bubbles solely devoted to their adoration where things like fan-art, pony jokes, collecting, and inter-geek pony customization were kept.

When the boys get on the ponies-are-the-greatest-thing-since-chocolate bandwagon, it's suddenly something new and amazing and cool.

Dammit, I was brohoofing before it was "in" society, and being plenty manly about it too.



But at least I can take comfort in the fact that all the cool (and by cool, I pretty much mean awesomely geeky) people now praise My Little Pony and mock the super lame sparkling vampireness of Twilight.

(Twilight: a kinda crappy book series that then got to be a movie with a rather pathetic female protagonist and douchebag sparkly vampire leading man.)

((No, I'm not kidding, he really is SPARKLY!))

Heroines from Harry Potter, Twilight, Star Wars, Star Trek

1 comment:

  1. oh my flippin heck, i LOVE that poster/picture/sign whatever you wanna call it. captain janaway (srsly how do you spell that?) is my favorite captain. or maybe tied w/ picard. cuz let's face it - he is SEXY. : )

    ReplyDelete