Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Great Furniture Escapade, pt 2

A continuation of The Great Furniture Escapade, pt 1....

I scheduled the storage pods for delivery to the Target parking lot, which was at a very helpful 'some time between 9 and 5' time, and set about tracking down a Uhaul.

I felt exceptionally well prepared, as I actually looked up the size dimensions of the pods and did the math to ensure I knew what size truck we needed, instead of my usual method of just going "uh... that one!!" without any further thought involved.

I reserved the truck, and even made sure it would be ok if we did a later pick up (you know, in case the storage pods weren't coming until closer to the 5 end of that time frame) and kept it an extra day.

I also went to town working on tracking down helping friends (aka Target coworkers) to move stuff.

The time frame for delivery, however, made it especially hard to plan with people.

So I had a long list. People who agreed to come in before their shift started, people who agreed to stay after their shift ended, people who were off and free during the day but not in the evening, people who were off and free in the morning, people who were off and free in the late afternoon.....

A lot of people agreed to help, certainly more than I had expected (I have to admit, I briefly had a moment of grander as result of actually possibly having friends). But still not as many as would have been ideal at any one time, because of the scheduling craziness.

And then, the delivery day arrived.

When all was said and done, I was very happy that the storage company DIDN'T show up right at 9am, as I spent the first couple hours that morning finishing up cleaning and moving stuff that was still in the basement, to make room for all the anticipated furniture coming in.

I had been up pretty late the night before, as apparently my "clean like crazy" mode doesn't kick in until after 9pm (I noticed that getting the house ready to show out in New York as well, when I was most efficient between midnight and 2am), so I was also somewhat tired that morning... which really helped coping with the stress for the day.......

And then, the call came saying that they'd be dropping the pods at noon.

I had just warmed up some delicious leftover lasagna (because my mommy is awesome), having had the thought that if I didn't get lunch right then I might not get it at all, which proved more correct than I could have guessed and also led to some serious speed eating while also frantically trying to finish the last little few cleaning things and get a hold of my mid day helpers to get out the door asap to go get the truck.

Adrianna had ended up with an ear infection the day before, so my mother elected to be the one staying with her (and then to pick up Kristina when preschool was done) while my dad and I headed down the mountain.

The Uhaul pickup was uneventful, although I did get slightly lost in my attempt to get across downtown Boulder by turning a road that did NOT do what I thought it did.

(Luckily the truck took longer than my detour.)

When I arrived at Target, the pods were on the far side of the employee parking lot like I had requested they be parked, neatly lined up in two parking spots with the guy chilling in his forklift next to them undoubtedly just waiting for me to bother to show up.

I was struck by the size of them, as I had certainly remembered them being bigger. Although they certainly didn't seem bigger when we had been packing them, and discarding things left and right simply for a lack of space.

I had managed to keep track of the keys to the units, through the craziness of the move and the long months in Colorado, which I was exceptionally proud of (despite my father's back up plan of bringing along the lock cutters), and felt mildly successful when I unlocked them without issue.

And then I cracked open one of the doors and had a whole bunch of stuff fall on me.

Thus the unpacking to repack began.

There was a brief moment where I seriously wondered whether the promised help would in fact appear, but luckily my two mid-day people were less flaky than my two afternoon people as the first two did show up, albeit one was running a little late, while the second two didn't.

And then, as we were approaching being about half way done pulling stuff out and moving it into the Uhaul, the Executives showed up.

A pair of them, who seemed slightly relieved by the fact that it was Team Members causing this minor chaos in the parking lot, while certainly not above poking fun about it for the following weeks.

They also were not inclined to help move the couch.

(Which would actually kinda be why I didn't hit up any of them in the first place to help move stuff, because I didn't think they would.... but we'll get back to my communication with the Executive level later.)

But they did make their way back to the store without much fuss, after my fervent promises that this would be resolved quickly and vacating their parking lot as soon as possible.

Apparently picking a Friday three weeks before Christmas was NOT a date to have stuff dropped in the Target parking lot.

But a little while later, it got much, much worse.

The store Team Lead (aka ultimate top level big boss man manager) arrived to work, and was NOT happy about being greeted with my little parking lot endeavor.

Although irritating the Executives certainly wasn't something I'd rank as a good thing, the pair of them didn't actually fill me with fear.

The visit from the top boss did.

However, I swore up and down that we would be done very (VERY) soon, and that his parking lot would be quickly returned to it's previous unoccupied-by-Marty's-poorly-planned-projects state.

There was a moment towards the end of loading the Uhaul were the big pieces of furniture weren't fitting very well, and it took some serious Tetris maneuvering to get it all to fit in, but otherwise the actual loading process of stuff went much quicker than I thought it would.

And then I called to have them pick up the storage pods.

And was told they won't pick them up the same day they dropped them off.

Or on the weekend.

Crappy crap crap................

And it was only getting better. One of the most wonderful helpers had to take off (as he had fully disclosed during my recruiting processes that he wasn't available during the second half of the afternoon), while the two people who were supposed to be filling in for him... well, didn't.

So then I had the wonderful pleasure of going into Target to disclose the several day long stay of the storage pods to the top boss and attempt to track down more people who might be getting off soon to help.

Nearly all the Executives were having one of their special Executive-only lunches at the big table in Starbucks, which did not exactly help in lessening the intimidating factor of the task at hand.

The store manager was fairly dismissive of me, and I really wasn't sure if that indicated that he had accepted it for what it was and didn't care any more, or if he really just didn't want to deal with me in the slightest right then.

Or perhaps he really just liked his salad, and wanted to finish it in peace.

(I've been laying low the last week at work, trying to avoid attracting attention of the higher ups in general, and I have yet to hear anything further from him about the incident, or anything else for that matter.)

((However, I HAVE gotten quite a bit of heckling from the original two parking lot visiting Executives about it. Just to make sure I knew it was a really stupid thing to do.))

So then I went in search of possible recruits from my coworkers.

Unfortunately, I just missed a few coming off and found many who were agreeable but wouldn't be off until much later than I had hoped to get things done, and my potential recruitment pool was waning quickly.

And then, I stumbled across my personal Executive working out on the floor with the Christmas trees.

I certainly prefer him to many of the other Executives in the store (and even for reasons beyond him not being as caught up in the clicky Executive lunch bunch as the rest), and in general feel like he's more approachable about things than some of the others.

Plus he IS my direct boss's boss level of manager in the chain of command.

So I stopped and asked him if he could make the store manager not be mad at me.

Which may not have been a particularly good move right then, as he proceeded to (nicely but clearly) point out all the ways I horribly screwed up in doing this, most notably my lack of communication to any of the Executives about it.

And he was right.

And it really rather made me want to cry.

I don't like screwing up. I don't like other people knowing I screwed up. I don't like admitting to the full depths of screwing up through my own personal stupidity.

And yet, it feels like I've been in that place a lot lately.

However, standing in the middle of Target right then was not the time to worry about such things, for my father was already headed up the mountain with the Uhaul full of my furniture with the full expectation of me meeting him with helpers to move said furniture out of the truck and into the house. And I still needed to track down another one (or five) of those coveted laborers friends.

I did find a few of the backroom guys (and got a few very strange looks from the backroom Team Lead about me being back there in street clothes in the process, although he at least either decided it wasn't worth mentioning or was to busy doing his work to be bothered by it) who would be getting off in the late afternoon who agreed to the endeavor. Which then meant I just had to wait.

At that point I tracked down the one helper I still had at my disposal, to update him with the somewhat dismal state of things.

And he offered the idea of recruiting his roommate, so the furniture moving could happen without waiting another few hours.

Admittedly, I had gone after my coworkers for the very specific reason that they were accustomed to working, with long days and lots of manual labor and heavy lifting. And his roommate was not this. But, as I certainly wasn't looking at any better options right then, I went for it.

We got everything out of the truck and into the garage, and got most of the heavy stuff into the basement.

However, my volunteered help bulked at a couple of the biggest pieces down the slightly icy slope of  a backyard we have.

So the success of only needing the Uhaul for 6 hours was counter-weighed by the fact that I still need to get people back up here to move those two things. It's one of those projects that will take 4 people 10 minutes, but because we live in Nederland, there's another hour and a half of drive time and logistical complications added in.

However, several who were unable to help that day have since volunteered to come up when they asked how things turned out and I mentioned I still needed to move two very heavy pieces of furniture... which was very kind of them and something I'll try to take them up on once I get the motivation together for it.

But it's not going to be tomorrow.

4 comments:

  1. oh my gosh. I can't even ... I feel like I've been through every part of this.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy. I've lived through similar. Not exactly the same, but the pressure, etc. You poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *HUGS* i know just how you feel w/ the executive situation, altho in my case it's a random boss who isn't even my boss that gives me fits. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. So are the Pods finally gone, I hope? :)

    ReplyDelete