Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Daddy to the Rescue

This morning proved to be an exciting one.

You know, in that way that being attacked by a man-eating crocodile is exciting.

[Fun side note: Alligators do NOT eat people, while crocodiles do. When I learned that it made me feel rather foolish about every time my roommate in college Cassi and I got into a little game where I smacked her forehead saying "mosquito!" (there totally was one... the first time, at least!) and then she'd retaliate by kicking at my leg saying "man-eating alligator!"]

I had just started driving to work this morning and only gotten a few miles down the dirt road that takes me out of the mountains. There was an oncoming car, and I pulled my car from the middle of the road (everyone drives down the middle of the dirt roads) back over to the right so we could pass each other in a reasonable normal vehicular road-sharing fashion.

But there was a little bit of trouble with this.

The road was a bit icey, and the winds were a bit high, and some combination of those meant that my car went just a touch farther to the right than I had intended.

Which wouldn't be all that much of a problem, except that part of why I had been so much in the middle of the road in the first place was because the blowing wind was making snow drifts all along the sides.

And then, believe it or not, I managed to quickly find myself in one of those drifts and in a rather stuck state of being.

(It hasn't been a good month for me and my car.)

I got out of the car, and determined that it was in fact very securely stuck in the snow bank. I'm sure you find that power of observation on my part impressive. Yep, it sure was stuck in the snow.

I started to try and move enough snow out of the way to get the car out, but the combination of there being a lot of snow, high winds, no shovel, and me only wearing worn tennis shoes made the effort rather futile.

My cell phone did not get reception right where the car was (it's almost like there's this horrible theme every time I get my car stuck.....) so I went back up the road a little ways to find a spot where it almost sorta thought it might have a little reception and gave my parents a call.

However, because it was a spot that only almost sorta thought it might have a little reception, all I got was one ring before reception cut out on me and I couldn't get it back.

(The high winds may or may not have been influencing this.)

So I decided to hope really really hard that the phone had in fact rung on my parents' end as well, and that they would be able to discern some gist of there being a problem between the fact that it was 6:15 in the morning and seeing my cellphone on the caller ID, and be intuitive enough to suspect (and more importantly, inclined enough to act on that suspicion) that I was, say, stuck on the side of the road as a result of some sort of car trouble.

I went back the snowdrifted car to make another pass at getting some of the snow cleared out, and managed to fall flat on my back during the walk thanks to that very same ice and wind that caused some of the problem in the first place.

[Fun side note: Ice covered dirt roads are HARD and kinda pokey.]

I briefly contemplated whether I could just sit in my car until spring melted the snow away at that moment.

Luckily I have lots of stupid willpower, and took a deep breathe and went back to work trying to move the snow.

And after the second attempt at digging out the car failed, I decided it was time for a different approach.

I started walking back up the road again, planning on making friends with whomever happened lived in the house with lights on that I could see a little ways from where I only kinda sorta almost had cell phone reception and inquire if they would at the very least let me use a phone that I could actually make a call on and at the very best feel so inclined to offer to pull my car out of the snow drift, when lo and behold who should come driving around the bend in the road but my most wonderful father in his plow-fronted old pick-up truck. 

(It really was a glorious sight right then.)

Five minutes of crawling underneath my car to get a tow strap hooked up later we had it back on the road, unstuck and no worse for the wear.

And then I got to continue merrily down the mountain to work with no further hindrance and a new found respect for the little seen danger in snow drifts.

I did not stop to take a picture of the getting stuck this time. Apparently blogging wasn't a top thought right then, and I didn't spend enough time standing around to get bored enough to start playing around with whatever was at hand.

In summary:  Yea Daddy!!

2 comments:

  1. Lol, I remember that "mosquito." And it is weird that you keep having no cell service where your car gets stuck. But, no pictures? I'm rather disappointed.

    ReplyDelete