Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Lucky Crash

Tuesday morning arrived with cold slushy snow after over a month of beautiful warm days.

It was one of those mornings that was already filled with a tight schedule and lots of mountain driving, and slick roads were NOT helping the needed time schedule.

And after racking up several hours of driving in those slick conditions and finally getting to the slightly less bad driving conditions in Boulder Canyon, I took a curve a little too fast, and slide sideways across the road, across the shoulder pull out, and into some rocks.

And it was a lucky crash.

There wasn't any oncoming traffic, there weren't any cars behind me, and I went off to the left where the dirt shoulder and pull off area (and rocks) were.

Had I gone off to the right, I would have ended up in Boulder Creek.

Depending on just where in Boulder Canyon I might have slide off, there also could have been a significant drop going down into the creek, which would have almost certainly caused some serious car rolling.

The rocks didn't even cause the airbags to go off.

I was completely unhurt. 

The girls weren't in the car with me.

Somebody stopped just a few minutes after I had gotten out of the car to see if I was alright and offered a ride back up to Nederland. 

The ultimate damage to my car was isolated entirely to the bumper, and is covered by insurance (minus the deductible).

It was a lucky crash.

3 comments:

  1. i've had those before! glad you're okay & you didn't have to be stranded for long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! That's so scary! Sounds like your guardian angels were working overtime! Glad you're OK & the car only has a minor owie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness. That's when you feel a divine hand of God/Mother Nature/Higher Power/Ghosts looking out for you.

    ReplyDelete