Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Significant Articulation Delay

I finally got around to taking Adrianna to Child Find to have her evaluated for language, and their assessment says she presents with a significant articulation delay.

A significant delay.

I knew she was behind.

She always seemed to be just a little bit behind, and I kept assuming that one day she'd open her mouth and paragraphs would flow out of it.

But she never did. And she only seemed to fall farther and farther behind the other kids.

And I knew that. And I should have made her an appointment a year ago, and didn't. Because I kept thinking she'd just start doing it on her own. Because I kept being busy with everything else in life. Because I didn't want there to be something actually wrong with my baby.

But now she's labeled. Significantly delayed. My little sweetheart who has always done everything early and always tried to keep up with her big sister, is delayed.

The Child Find program will cover services until she is three, providing an hour a week one-on-one speech therapy at her school. After her birthday, she changes programs with them and would need to attend preschool at the elementary school to continue to receive services through the state. They're evaluating her again in October, 90 days before she turns 3, so she can get placed into the program immediately if it's still needed. 


The video is from the end of May, 6 weeks before Adrianna hit the official 2 and a half age mark.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the clip and here's what I saw: a bright-eyed, active, able-bodied child who is engaged in her surroundings and is stubborn enough to prove her mother WRONG by getting into that bin even if it's filled with blocks, who has the emotional reserves not to melt down when something doesn't go her way. That's HUGE. And it's really good. A diagnosis is not the end, it's the beginning. I bet within the year those paragraphs will come flowing out of her mouth and you'll be buying earplugs just to have a moment of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hon, don't beat yourself up. She's obviously bright. She'll learn how to get the words out.

    Do you have Signing Times? Not sure if that will help or not, since she's not melting down even if she's not communicating verbally.

    ReplyDelete