Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Stuff I've Learned from Working at Target

  • It's all about who you know. I have lots of awesome friends. Most of them have as little or less power in the Target world as me. Therefore, these friends are useless to my career, possibly even detrimental to it, and will probably ALWAYS be my favorite people in that whole store.
  • When good enough is good enough. I never had to actually zone shit until they moved me to Market, and even then it's really only on my one closing night a week that this is an issue. Being a perfectionist is NOT the way to go about making the shelves look pretty in an efficient manner. 
  • When in doubt, plead ignorance. I hear this is a good tactic for getting out of speeding tickets (at least for the populace with breasts) too. 
  • Cliques are every bit as important as they were in high school. Someone asked me which clique I'm in, it's the one that's not getting me promoted. However, I'd say overall I do get along quite well with at least a few people from all of the cliques (except for, maybe, the one that all the top managers are in.....). 
  • Red and Khaki can be as stylish as you want it. Some people really go all out with things like following pant trends and accessorizing. Others consider it a good day if they're wearing pants that have been worn less than 4 times since they were last washed. Some people do lots of fancy stuff to their hair, while others usually remember to wear deodorant. Yep, the Target uniform is what you make it. 
  • It's not fair, it's never been fair, and it never will be fair. Suck it up and keep on trucking. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself, after whining about the lack of fairness didn't get me anywhere. 
  • Other people are people too. It is hard to recognize that sometimes, but we're all just human, and can only really expect that from each other. 
  • When in doubt, drink energy drinks. Hm, I'm not all THAT tired today... eh, better chug a monster anyways to get my super fast fun and friendly on. 
  • Teamspeak is a horrible way to think, and thinking that way is the only way to survive. Which is really, really sad sometimes. But not as sad as the net employee energy drink consumption quantities done specifically to fulfill the Fast Fun and Friendly core role.
  • Inconsistent leadership is the model norm. Some moments you'll be treated like a small child, other times you'll be expected to totally just manage all sorts of crap way out of your normal line of work and/or what you've been trained for. Good luck guessing what will be expected from you RIGHT NOW, and woe to ye who guessed wrong! 

No comments:

Post a Comment