Sunday, November 11, 2012

Choosing Books

I read two categories of books.

The first is books that I have heard about or otherwise am inspired to read (like Jurassic Park), and therefore I seek that specific volume out (by which I mean order from Amazon) to read.

The other category is what usually ends up happening if I need to get a book on my lunch break from Target, by which I mean I select one from a very limited selection almost entirely on cover art alone.

The most recent one has a castle on it.

Oh, it also has a title.

Which I would be happy to tell you.

Once I go find the book so I can look at it and tell you what it's title is.

*ahem*

Ah yes, here it is.

The Distant Hours by Kate Morton.

And I am so not kidding when I said I got it because it had a castle on the cover.

It also has New York Times Bestseller splashed across the top, which I didn't pay much attention to until I picked up Water for Elephants (again, based on cover art alone) and ended up just loving, and the half I have red of The Distant Hours has also been quite good, so now I'm thinking I might give it some more creed.

A long time ago, I read Where the Heart Is as an Oprah's Book Club edition, and then tried several other books marked as such with high expectations that were not met.

Since then, I had a strange avoidance of otherwise "popular" novel choices due to mistrusting society (and to be fair, society has just been raving about things like 50 Shades of Grey and Twilight), but now I'm thinking that I may need to reconsider that bias some, at least where the New York Times is concerned.

However, pondering the book cover method of obtaining new books has made me wonder what makes other people grab one volume instead of another.

It is also how I identify books. Sadly, I am disgracefully bad at remembering titles and authors, but am extremely good at recognizing cover art and associating it with it's interior contents once seen.

And this odd attraction to the pictures on the front just might be my biggest reason for not being overly inspired by e-books thus far.

I'm also highly scornful of the cover on the copy of The Shining Amazon sent me not too long ago. Luckily, Stephen King does a good job content wise to make up for the horribleness left over from the 80s sense of color and composition.

Yep, books are an interesting breed to look at, and the appreciation for one is something I hope I manage to pass on to my children despite the current age of technology.

After all, I want to make sure they have plenty of opportunities to tease me mercilessly in their teenage years about my old fashioned was as I found with my own parents and their record player and slide rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment