Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Pursuit of Happiness

Americans like to throw around terms like "we have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

Now ironically, it is also often while impinging on other people's attempts at pursing the exact same things, like their basic happiness. However, I think we're actually making some progress here.

Our presidential election was last week, and ushered in another 4 years of Barack Obama.

(Oh, and just in case you didn't see it, go watch Chris Rock's petition to white voters, as I cannot stop laughing at the mention of the president wearing mom jeans.)

My personal happiness on this development aside (what can I say, I have some seriously fundamental issues with old white men saying dumb things regarding my reproductive organs and equally poor biological and theological interpretations of it's my body so shut the hell up already the issue which shouldn't be an issue at hand), we also made some huge strides elsewhere on the ballot.

Colorado, my beloved home state, legalized Marijuana in a ground breaking measure which has huge implications (even beyond the part where everyone is already stoned, so it might as well be legal instead of just for those with "back pain") for redefining the legal system and to stop the continued disproportionate targeting of minorities for incarceration for minor none violent offenses (and we'll just ignore the language double standard concerning crack vs. cocaine a little longer). Along with the changes in the justice system and presumed decrease in spending on the prison part of the federal budget, it will be taxed and create an additional source of revenue for the state, not to mention all the exciting jobs in the pot and pot regulation industry itself.

Also, we just might now be seen as being cooler than Oregon.

Even more exciting, three more states legalized gay marriage. There's going to be a chunk in the south holding out until the bitter end, but I think it's quite clear at this point that it's just a matter of time before it becomes an accepted nation-wide practice (which is just so totally awesome).

And because this is how I like my political activism, I give you the ultimate reason to let gay people get married.

[Warning: Language]

(I feel really dumb putting warnings like that in, but as someone who sometimes browses the internet with small children surrounding her, I feel it's good to give a heads up so your not accidently teaching your children that saying "a mother fucking quiche" makes mommy laugh.)


3 comments:

  1. On behalf of all Canadians I'd like to ask America to stop stealing all our awesome stuff. Gay marriage. Zippers. Tim Horton's. Legal Pot. Celine Dion. SOON WE'LL HAVE NOTHING LEFT!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did Canadians really invent zippers?? My mind is blown.

      Delete
  2. Colorado will never be as cool as Oregon, and America will continue to take all the good stuff from Canada and leave the rest behind.

    ReplyDelete