Thursday, March 21, 2013

Read it Again

Books come in many different shapes and sizes and styles to me.

Most I read over and over again.

Some I read again and again because I love the story and getting caught up in the characters and worlds which are not my own.

Some I read again and again because there is so much story and so much book it takes me several times to finally catch all the little details and everything pulls together.

Some I read again and again because I always have forgotten the beginning by the time I get to the end.

Some I read again and again because I don't want the story to ever stop.

And finally, some I read again and again because I need to hear what the book is saying more often than I would otherwise.

Some books I read slowly, wanting to linger in the story as long as possible.

Some books I read slowly because they are challenging reads; the language doesn't flow well, or the vocabulary is old English or the spoken language is a little too "as it sounds" to be easily understood.

Some books I read fast because I want to know what happens next.

Some books I read fast because I've read them before and want to get to my favorite part.

Some books I never finish because I don't like how they are ending.

Some books I never finish because I get bored or have trouble staying interested in the story.

And a very few books I regret reading entirely.

But see, none of that matters beyond the part where I read books because I enjoy reading books, and the people I feel the most pity towards are the ones who never learned how to enjoy a good book occasionally.

May your life be filled with a full bookcase and the time to linger as you will in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment