Monday, August 12, 2013

Little Ballerinas

Many years ago, in a state far far away, little Kristina took dance class. 

The tutus were puffy and sweet, the herd of blond pigtails to die for, and even the small talk with the other mamas wasn't so bad. 

And then we went through the dark time. Stress was high, money was low, and dance class was seen as a luxury we simply did not have the capacity for. 

However, little Kristina did not forget. As she grew into big Kristina she memorized our recording of The Nutcracker, put on endless performances for (the occasionally unfortunate) family members, and kept asking the same little question, "can I do dance class again?"

I looked. Several times I seriously looked. But the logistics were always too hard, driving and cost, the baby sister to drag along, the feat of making small talk with other mamas about how my life is basically a big steaming pile of shit and I'm really just hoping the kids aren't messed up for life at this point. It was too much to take on. 

But things are better now. Logistics are easier, money is ok, and small talk doesn't seem quite so terrifying any more. 

So I enrolled both girls in ballet classes at the Boulder School of Ballet. 

Their first class is next week, and it's hard to say who is actually more excited for it. 

Adrianna adores her leotards and shoes, and would wear them non stop if she were allowed. Kristina is already planning her invite list for her spring performance nine months away. 

And I am basking in the moment's glow of feeling success for being Good Parent. You know, the one that's not too tired and overwhelmed to deal with kids' extracurricular activities and voluntarily made life a little more busy and pulls it off with grace and poise. 

Oh, and the possibility of them being such awesome dancers that they'll soon be staring in stage performances of The Nutcracker themselves. 

Did I mention ballet classes haven't started yet? Not that my grace and poise might magically transform into muttered obscenities as I frantically try to find a missing ballet slipper ten minutes before class or consider any day that didn't involve biting, punching, or screaming to be a class act by my children. Nope, no crushing interruption by reality coming here, I'm sure.  

And don't worry, I'll make sure to post their nation wide tour schedule next fall, so everyone can see them on stage in all their (falling over, nose picking, not paying any attention, clueless) adorable little ballerina glory. 

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are better now. I hope they enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!! As much as I love watching my Angela in her multitude of dances, the little ones are always so fun to watch at the recitals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a very good parent for a myriad of reasons, but the ballet class enrollment is up in the top ten.

    ReplyDelete