Sunday, October 20, 2013

Favorite Recipes

Keeping in the theme of hobbies, I thought I would share a couple of my favorite recipes with you today. I'm not sure if "cooking" really counts as a hobby when it is done solely in the capacity of "to eat", and I can almost guarantee you that the only way I'm not getting sued for copyright infringement is because I'm botching the originals so bad they don't want the results accredited to them on the internet. But don't worry, I'll be putting up some truly original fudge recipes for you as well... as soon as I remember what I did when I was making it without a recipe.

Smashed Chicken

This is really just a fancy version of shake and bake, but seems grown up because it uses bread crumbs and seasoning instead of their pre-mixed packet of bread crumbs and seasoning.

Step one: Smash the chicken breasts flatter with a hammer. I believe the original recipe called for a meat tenderizer, but I have been highly successful with a regular hammer and parchment paper. Do be warned, people look at you funny when you're cooking and ask them if they have a hammer you could use real quick. This is totally my favorite part, and I'm pretty sure cackling gleefully while smashing makes the chicken feel loved. And everyone knows loved food tastes delicious.

Step two: Cover smashed chicken breasts with egg. To do this, pour a couple beaten together onto a high edge plat or flat bowl (or Tupperware dish, we don't judge here) and dip both sides of slimy raw chicken in it.

Step three: Coat with seasoned bread crumbs. Take the big jar of bread crumbs and put some on a plate, stir in whatever flavoring (spicy pepper, Italian, garlic) sounds delicious right then in your spice cupboard (ok, I wouldn't recommend pumpkin pie spice unless you're really adventuresome), then just coat both sides of the chicken in it real quick. You will want to do this before the egg part so you're not standing their holding egg soaked raw chicken in your hands while trying to also scoop bread crumbs, and woe be to ye who started cooking without reading the entire recipe first.

Step four: put chicken in baking dish or on a cookie sheet with small amount of cooking spray or oil in the bottom to reduce sticking. I'm not picky, you use whatever you have in your kitchen cupboard and that feels right to you right then. Or canola. The internet likes canola.

Step five: bake for 8 minutes at 375, flip, back for another 6-8 minutes on the other side.

Tada!


Sugerdoodles

So these are mostly snickerdoodle cookies except they don't use cream of tarter, which the internet tells me is required for a "real" snickerdoodle. Hence, they are sugardoodles.

Mix 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1 cup (two sticks) butter in a bowl. Mix in 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract. Mix in 2 and 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt

It should be fairly thick and you'll be feeling it in your bicep. Once it's all mixed together, roll into small balls and then roll those in a separate mixture of 3 parts white sugar to 1 part cinnamon (aka, 3 tablespoons and 1 tablespoon) to coat, then place on cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for 18-20 minutes.

It should be noted that the original recipe for this had all sorts of words like "whisk" and "beat" and "blend" and "combine". I just stir everything together in the one bowl with a spoon. Which is probably why I suck at having cooking as a hobby.

For the record, it makes good cookies without the pre-whisking of flour.

2 comments:

  1. There is NO mention of chocolate in your favorite recipes. I'm confused. Were you abducted by aliens or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you acknowledge that you don't follow recipes exactly. Instead of just not reading them at all (peers over the monitor at the significant other, who managed to screw up TACOs !!!!)

    ReplyDelete