Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Magic of Target

Many mommy bloggers people like to talk about the magic of Target.

(Clearly these people have never worked in retail during the holidays, as they are describing events like Black Friday without excessive profanity.)

But there is something to be said for the Target Corporation vision.

At Target, they try to have reasonably competitive prices, but they also know that the only way to survive with Amazon and Walmart is to do something different.

That is where I come in. Or rather, the generic Target worker.

(I, of course, am much more awesome and amazing than the truly generic Target worker.)

(I also staunchly avoid wearing red polos on principal.) 

I, as the generic Target worker, am all about guest service. Or as we like to call it, The Vibe.

Not only am I all about showing you where the curtain section is, but I'm also all about explaining the standard size lengths, calculating how many panels you need, praising your selection as a wonderful choice, and amicably listening to a long and mostly irrelevant story about your sister-in-law 20 years ago that has been influencing your home decor style choices ever since.

I am all about making your day happy and your shopping experience at Target as pleasant as possible.

(Sorry I can't do anything about the other 3 or 4 hundred people who also simultaneously decided to experience the magic of shopping at Target a week before Christmas. Believe me, I would if I could.) 

But see, I don't think that's magic. I don't even think it's anything overly special for an employee to do.

I think it's a (possibly futile) appeal to the lost art of humanity.

So many people just want someone to talk to. Someone to brainstorm with. Someone to give some sense of recognition to their actions, however irrelevant said person giving recognition is. 

And all that is ok. That is what is keeping stores like Target in business, and as I greatly enjoying having my job at the moment, please continue to shop and to enjoy the extra awesome service brought to you courtesy of The Vibe.

(Hey, it's not as cheesy as our most recent "Get Appy" push to promote the new coupon app called Cartwheel, which all cheesy Target promotions aside, is actually a pretty cool way to save a little money. Check it out.)

But there is a darker side to this.

You see, there are these people who come through Target just because they like being in Target (no judgement here, that's why I applied to work there when I failed to get a real grown up job), but who haven't yet mastered self-control about not buying stuff just to buy stuff.

These are the people who keep saying "Oh my god I always spend too much money here" or "I can't believe I keep buying more stuff I don't need" when they go through the checkout lane.

And I always wonder if they know that that purchase they didn't need to make totaled more than the cashier made working an 8 hour shift. I've seen people drop more than my entire two week paycheck on stupid crap they are telling me they don't need.

And some days that is hard to smile through. 

But when it comes down to it, their purchasing power is fueling my and many others' employment (and filling landfills, but we don't need to think too much about that right now), so by all means, spend on consumers, spend on. 

But, maybe, try to keep a little perspective about the humanity of the people who work there too?


1 comment:

  1. I'm very sad that 24 hours later you are having to deal with the fall out from the credit card fiasco.

    ReplyDelete