Monday, January 6, 2014

New Years Resolutions.

People have been very resolute this past week. A nice list of goals for the year. Lose weight. Get a better job. Travel someplace cool. Develop relationships. 

All reasonable things, mind you, but perhaps a bit redundant? 

My weight loss diet involves the usual "hey maybe you should eat a salad instead of that box of doughnuts" conversation I have with myself about once a month year round. But this year I also have little children guilting me to drink less soda too. Yay healthy eating education. 

I just get depressed if I think about the job situation too much. Hence: show up, do your job, get paycheck, don't get fired. And for fucks sake, try to stop remembering you have a college degree like it should mean something. It's liberal arts. 

Travel can be fun, there are many places I'd like to see someday. But none of them need to be this year. 

I'm actually really happy with pretty much all of my relationships with other human beings right now. I am in a good place as a person, and a good place with other people comes with that. Keep it up, I guess? 

So now that I've gotten the usual suspects out of the way, I'm going to tell you what I actually want to do in 2014. 

I want to write a novel. 

It needs not be very long. It probably won't be very good. And it almost certainly will never so much as come with a hundred feet of a publishing house. 

But that's ok. 

I just want to write it. 

I'm really rather terrible about being passionate and excited about a story or idea, and then burning out on it a week later to never look at it again. So having the fortitude to actually stick with one spark of creativity for months really would be accomplishment in of itself for me, and something that would help me feel successful in an odd sort of way. 

After all, everyone has to start somewhere. 


1 comment:

  1. I, too, have a liberal arts degree. I'm not sure that I'm using it, but it seems to make people think that I'm somehow edjumacated. The right job will come along at some point - there's just a lot of not right jobs between now and then.

    I'm so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete