Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Letter to J.K. Rowling

Dear Ms. Rowling,

I just wanted to tell you that I find you a very inspiring person. The internet loves you, my most recent favorite was memeing it up about how you lost your billionaire status because you gave away so much money. But the even more inspiring part of your story is the one you talked about on the Daily Show (I think??) where you had been living on government subsidy at one time, and chose specifically to keep paying taxes to the British government to help support those programs funded through tax money for others.

That story gives me so much hope. You had nothing, living a hard life, and yet you still managed to produce one of the most well-known literary pieces of our time.

95% of the time, my biggest personal accomplishment for the day is getting my kids to bed. Days are spent working a menial degrading job, evenings are spent stressing over money and folding laundry. There is no time or energy for creativity, or hobbies, or personal passions. Hell, there's barely enough time and energy to take a shower most days, and if I can find matching socks for all three of us in the morning I feel like a fucking rockstar.

But every so often my mind still wonders into that 5% of mostly uncharted territory where I think about things like going to law school, painting something beautiful, or better yet, writing something worthwhile. The brief passing moments of dreaming... they are few and fleeting, but they are still there, and in them I find it incredibly comforting to think of you and what you have accomplished in your life and where you were when you did it.

So thank you, Ms. Rowling, for being such an incredible person.

Sincerely,
Marty

2 comments:

  1. What lovely post.
    And if JK reads this and is looking to give away more money, I am willing to help her out. JK -- please feel free to follow the links from this comment to my blog where I await you with baited breath, and my bank account numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. [And as a follow up to your comment on my blog, the glow-in-dark prehistoric creature quarters aren't in circulation. But you can buy them from The Mint]

    ReplyDelete